- The inventor of the 4-3 Defense is Tom Landry, former Dallas Cowboys Head Coach.
- This defensive scheme has been described as a better run stopping defense which bottles up the running back with quick pressure up front.
- The defensive front features four line man including two middle tackles and two end s.
- The back line features three line backers including:
- The Weak side line backer (also known as Will)
- The Middle linebacker (also known as Mike)
- And the Strong Side line backer (also known as (Sam)
Below is an illustration of the 4-3 base defense;