- This defensive scheme as been known to confuse the Quarter Back and the Offense
- Instead of using the four line man (The two Tackles and the Ends) up front, this defensive scheme places three line man up front.
- The inside line consists of the Nose Guard in the middle and two defensive line man, one on each side of the Nose Guard.
- The back line features four line backers including:
- Two inside line backers and Two out side line backers.
- A successful rush has one of the two out side line backers getting to the Quarter Back
- Patriots Head Coach utilizes this type of defensive scheme as his main defensive formation.
Below is an illustration of the 3-4 base defense;